Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Near Rio Rico


Near Rio Rico
Oil on canvas, 10x10

The Tubac Arts Festival went on for five days, and I have to say, I am glad it's over. That's just tooooo looooong, at least for me. Someone said that it's a good two-day show that takes five days, and I'd have to agree. 

I sold three paintings during those five days, and I was happy to sell them. Also, I am now represented by a gallery in Tubac, Art Gallery H,  and this is very, very exciting. 

One thing I'm learning about my paintings and art shows is that I don't do well in places where there are lots of retirees. My stuff doesn't appeal to them, perhaps, or maybe it's that they just have enough art already. 

I do believe that if you fall in love with a piece, you'll make room for it no matter what - but first, you have to fall in love. My loud, heavily surfaced, bright pieces are not for everyone, and I know this - and perhaps retired folks are a large part of "everyone." 

A great thing about this show was that Cynthia Battista, my friend from New Milford, CT, had gotten in, and our tents were side by side. We shared a lot of laughs, a lot of gripes, a lot of too bads, too. Being next to a good friend truly does halve the pain and double the happiness. 

This week, I am painting around here. I've been invited to a show near Phoenix this weekend, and am considering it. This morning, I feel that if I never do another art show, that will be well and good. But by this afternoon, who knows. 



My little painting in the big Arizona landscape
***

Grasslands, Sonoita
Oil on canvas, 30x30

A NUMBER OF YOU who have sponsored me for paintings larger than 10x10, and here's one of the ones I've done so far. It is 30x30, and I painted it standing on the side of the road in Sonoita. I love the yellow grass there, and the ragged mountains, and the feeling of the huge, arching sky. 

While I was painting, a local came along and told me I was painting The Biscuit - that rounded peak over on the right-hand side. 

***


My dad, who is an excellent painter, had never painted with a palette knife, but wants to learn. I made the painting of the dog, and Dad put in the background - and did a great job! 

Throughout the length of the show, people brought their dogs - and quite a few were in strollers. 

What a face! You'll see this one in a painting soon. 

This sweet couple bought "Through the River," the lower painting on the wall. We were all pretty excited about it. They are going to repaint the room where the piece will hang - the new color will highlight my painting! 

One of the very best things about this show was that my friend, jeweler Cynthia Battista, got in and we had booths side by each. This was a long and trying show, and it was wonderful to share the ups and downs with a good friend. 

These horses pulled a free trolley up and down the streets during the event. I felt a little sorry for them, but someone who knows horses said they were fine, and that they like to work. They didn't look unhappy, I can say that. 

Each day of the festival began with this guy, Al Topping, who took my parking money (yes, they charged the artists to park). Al has a great, dry sense of humor, and he made me laugh every morning. And he spent 40 years as a cameraman for ABC news! When I asked him why he was working the parking lot from 7 a.m. to 5 p.m., he said that fees from the lot benefit the Center of the Arts in Tubac, and his wife is the head of it. "She's a mean brunette," he said, "And I do whatever she tells me." 

No comments:

Post a Comment