Monday, January 27, 2014

A Big Fat Zerio in Indio


San Jacinto Mountains
Oil on canvas, 10x10

Argh. I had such high hopes for the show in Indio, California. And the reality dashed them all. Not one painting sold. Not. One. 

It was the first show of the season! I have wonderful new work! It was in California!  

But the fact was that people weren't buying. Not just not buying my stuff, but not buying, pretty much in general. So I will do my best to not take it personally, and I will get on out and paint, which is my main purpose in being here, anyways. 

I did make some new artist friends, and that was great. Here's Judy, who had one of the booths across from me. She makes leather bags, wallets, backpacks, etc., and they are just gorgeous. When she's on the road, she sleeps in her utility trailer! She has a sewing machine in there, too. She'll be at the show in Tubac, along with Charlene, who was beside Judy and directly across from me. 



Above are some of the glass pieces Charlene made

I did have a weekend of sunny and warm - even hot - weather, and that was also great. I met some nice people who responded well to my art - they just didn't buy it. 

And I made this painting, which I love. Indio is at the base of a couple of mountain ranges, including this one, the San Jacinto. The mountains are steep and big and tall, and beautiful. Today, I'm planning on driving through them, on my way to the Pacific, which I think I should see, as long as I'm out here. 


Here's the view of the mountains I painted during the show. 
***
Mountains on the road from California to Arizona



I saw beautiful road art on the drive from Arizona to California. I think these were near Phoenix



A sign in the lobby of the scruffy hotel where I'm staying...


LaQuinta is the next town up, and it's very pretty


The sky Friday night, just outside the show grounds. 

In the East, I'm one of the artists with big work. Out here, I'm not - by a long shot! 



***
Dog of the Day

Dogs were not allowed in the show, but I found this one just outside of the parking lot. She spent the day in air-conditioned happiness in the artist's trailer, with the artist's husband...

No comments:

Post a Comment