Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Rio Grande, Near Taos

Rio Grande Near Taos
Oil on canvas, 10x10

I've spent the past couple days in and around Santa Fe and Taos, and I have seen beautiful, amazing things. 

The land is lovely here, with colors that are bright and subtle, large and small, strong and gentle all at the same time. Maybe it's the time of year, or maybe it's how it is all the time in New Mexico. 

I found myself recognizing parts of the area - not the houses or the roads or the businesses, but the colors and the trees and the fields. On my first trip to Arizona - three years ago? Four? - I came through this area, but from the north. 

I had pulled over to contemplate painting a pretty field with brush just turning red at the tips. Trees outlined the sides of the field, and a giant rock formation warmed its back. And as I looked, it all came back to me. I had been here, indeed - and what I was recalling was years ago.

Turns out I was in Abiquiu, NM, where Georgie O'Keeffe lived and worked. It is a tiny, quiet place, with a post office, a few galleries and the Abiquiu Inn, which offers tours of O'Keeffe's home and studio. I didn't take the tour, but I did imagine O'Keeffe living, looking and painting in the area. 

In the afternoon, I headed up toward Taos. It is a nice little town, with some traffic problems even in early March, and not many places to get a cup of coffee. I thought about going to see the ski area, but again, I didn't. I wanted to paint, not tour! 

My favorite part of the day was seeing the rivers and the rocks, and the beautiful colors of the brush and the trees and the land itself. 

Today, Thursday, I set up for the Rio Grande Arts and Crafts show, which runs from Friday through Sunday. Then on Monday, I head home. I don't expect to paint on the way home, though if I see something that demands it, I will! 

Thank you, each and every last one of you, for helping to make this trip possible. 

ps., this sounds like the final newsletter but it's not! 



***

A gorgeous New Mexico sunset

I love this lone tree, on the plain near Taos, and I plan to paint it soon! 

The colors of the brush along the rivers in this area of New Mexico made me think of a sunset, right there on the ground. This, and the two photos that follow, are from Abiquiu, where Georgia O'Keeffe lived and painted. 



*** 
And what's a day without dinos? I found these in Holbrook, AZ, on my way to New Mexico. 


***
This guy was walking along with his human, and was very interested in me. I think he would have been friendly, but his challenging look made me keep my distance.











No comments:

Post a Comment